Sunday, January 2, 2011

in as 2, out as 3 (a complete family)

After delivery, we were in the hospital a couple days. Annoyingly cause I delivered in the wee hours of the morning, I technically had to stay 2 more nights. I really didn't want to since things were going so well- no problems with pain or breastfeeding...but we stayed until Thurs.

Jam missed 1.5 days of anatomy (head and neck...the hardest section) to be with us in the hospital.

While in the hospital, I was on cloud 9. Everything was perfect and I had a smile painted on my face the entire time. ON TOP OF THE WORLD!!!!!!

Vera didn't have any problem latching on to breastfeed but was cluster feeding (aka feeding for like 1.5 hours at a time with me alternating boobs every 20 minutes or so). My nipples were sore (but lanolin cream helped). She never really latched on very deep but I guess it works for us.

Sleep deprivation to the ultimate degree was in full force. We did send Vera out to the nursery both nights which I felt guilty about. The only thing that made it ok was knowing she would be back in a very short time to eat (for a very long time). I was thankful for the small amount of rest I was able to get.

We had quite a few visitors during our hospital stay:
Day 1: Sarah, Mom, Cindy, the Hoffmans, Nettie & Dylan, Jill (but because Ida was sick, Jill didn't get to hold her), Mitch/Becky and the kids, and a patient
- in retrospect it was probably too many visitors cause I didn't get to rest at all during the day (and only had about 3 hours of sleep since V was born)...but I was too happy to even notice how tired I was...like the adrenaline just kept me go go going.
Day 2: Sarah, Jill, Dad, Otter and Hailey
Day 3: Sarah and Lisa

It did suck Jamie had to go back to class while we were still in the hospital but having had anatomy in the past, I completely understood why.

Leaving day was interesting as I packed up all of our crap (thank goodness Vera slept during that part). Jam showed up in time to pick us up. We had never even played with the carseat, nor had either of us really have any experience with it...it was like a friggin science project getting her in there and buckled...difficult mostly cause she was so small. Seemed crazy we were taking her home but I was still oober excited. Jam strolled up in the car and we were off! After bringing us home, Jam sadly had to return basically immediately to get back to class which sucked. So it was just Miss V and I the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment